Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Thank you, Kristi

God puts people in your life some times. You know? He just plops down people in your path and you might not be completely sure why or how, but you get that feeling that He has a plan.

When Paul and I were in the midst of infertility hell (sorry, it is what it is) we became friends with a family at the beach. We probably had known them longer, since we had vacation spots in the same building - but we didn't really KNOW them until after our marriage. They had just brought home a little darling child from China. Immediately I was drawn to them - adoption was our light at the end of a tunnel. We knew that God would provide children one way or another. We didn't know His timing, but we knew it would happen. And so, here they were... put in our lives to give us insight into the adventure of adoption and to see what a gift it could be.

As I said, we weren't aware of God's plan at that time... and we were given the precious gifts of our two sons. Time passed by, we enjoyed each other's company by the sea while on vacation.

Back in 2012, when we had the eye-opening experience of seeing "Rose" for the first time, Kristi and I were already pretty good beach friends and I couldn't wait to discuss the news of our commitment to her. Kristi and I happened to have something in common at the very same time. They had also began the process of bringing home another little girl from China! They were feeling some discomfort with timing, just as we were feeling uneasy with ours. Kristi and I were able to discuss our fears and doubts - as well as our faith and trust in God.

Sometime in this crazy 2 year journey, Kristi told me to purchase a book. One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. She wrote the name of the book on a scrap piece of paper, along with her name and phone number, incase I ever wanted to talk. I tucked it away and made a mental note to add it to my Amazon list.

A few months down the road I purchased the book. A few months after that, I opened it.

I'm a firm believer in waiting for God's moment to pick up a book... you know? Wait until it's like He's saying, "NOW!" So when it was time, I picked it up. I started reading and realized that I was going to have to spoon-feed myself the words. It is powerful stuff. So, here I am in this place, living these days... and this is JUST what He wanted me to be reading. Right now. In this moment. It's really incredible. I'm in the midst of chapter 10, incase you want to know. Chapters 8 and 9 were written for this moment. So awesome. I'll probably finish today or tomorrow.

I want to thank Kristi. Thank you for your friendship. Thank you for sharing your good times and bad times, your laughter and tears - especially throughout the past two years. This book has been a true gift while here in this place, just as your prayers have been! Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Katie, this is Kristi! I have tried to comment several times but having computer and internet issues here in PCB.Then my comment is lost! It is fitting that we are here, missing seeing you all but praying faithfully for your journey. I was homesick by day 2 in china and can not imagine how taxing this lengthy stay must be. We are praying for mountains to move and for you to get safely home ASAP. What a circle of blessing the Lord gives as adoptive families have a bond like no other. I will forever treasure your kind words. Your family is on my list of gifts. I am thankful for our summer conversations, friendship and for all your kind words on our blog this last year as we adjusted. Thank You! Kristi

    ReplyDelete